Thursday, August 26, 2010

Off My Job Today....But Not off Work

I had to take off my reg job today as i had been summoned to the first day of jury duty orientation. I was excused but I still had to show up for the orientation.They double checked my info and then i could go back home.

WELL ..... what I had waiting on me at home was a good days work of putting the smaller summer garden area to rest and planting more on the little fall garden. I pulled up all the dead tomato plants and then chopped all the weeds out with the hoe and turned over all the dirt . It is all just SO bare and sad now. I did enjoy myself today working in the yard. I go barefoot when i can .......I love the feel of Mother Earth .Here ( pic below) is where i had some corn planted along with a cherry tomato plant. These plants sure climbed. Next year i want to get these same plants and I will put them out along the privacy fence. I had this one on the fence and it grew up it and then all down the back side of it also. Each cherry tomato plant has produced 100's of tomatoes this summer. I have radishes growing in the pots here in the smaller fall garden. Then today i put out green onion and more radish seeds in the ground. I did notice a rabbit this weekend so i am going to have to kill it .sorry.. no furry woodland creatures in the yard... I still have the really really big garden area left to do yet..... I had all the corn and white pumkins and heirloom tomatoes in that area . The pumpkin vines that were NOT planted under the corn have all died out. The cantalope and watermelons were a waste of garden space for me .wont do them next year. I will rasie more Patti Pan squash though...The squash bugs left it alone ..they killed instead the zuchini and yellow squash plants off . I did save the white pumpkins off the dead vines. I think they are big enough and can be cooked and frozen for breads and soup. That is a project for this weekend though .

.
Here are 2 plants a neighbor was going to throw out. They just needed water and have perked right pack up. The pink geranuims are starting to bloom again. I should be able to winter these over inside the house .
HMMMM !!!! I am NOT sure why all of a sudden i have lines under the words I am typing ?? Oh well......... Here is lunch today. I have used patti pan squash from the garden and sauteed it with olive oil.....garlic .carrots.....red peppers .....then poured over fresh spinach and cabbage ... VERY yummy!!!!!Then i took the marigold flowers i had harvested today and added to olive oil to infuse for next few weeks. I will take the oil once i have strained it and add to shea butter for a skin rub .

4 comments:

  1. I got summoned for two weeks of jury duty in June...I got to miss a week of work and only had to serve for a day!
    I miss having a garden, that is so wonderful that you can cook with foods you grow yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - there's so much in this blog...I'm sorry for the bunny, but I understand. Mice can be cute until they poop all over the kitchen and then I'm telling my husband to go all Dracul on it (post a mouse outside as a warning to the other mice). You are using this food, it's not just a flower garden. Can you call animal control to move it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. animal control doesnt do stuff like that here ,,I use to trap them and that got just too much. I could pull 60 or more critters out of garden in a summers time..

    ReplyDelete